It's a party in the USA!

Spending my 3rd year of uni abroad in America at Ohio State University. This is just a little memoir of what I've been getting upto for those that are interested. Will try to keep it going but we will see after a month or so how that goes! Missing Edinburgh and everyone in it xxx

Tuesday 19 October 2010

The Weekend!

15th Oct
Technically this is the start of the weekend for me since I have no classes on fridays. But just spent my day applying to internships or at least trying to as the processes take soo long and used time to catch up on work since I usually get a quiet house to myself as its just business that don't seem to have classes on a friday. After dinner I went into campus to meet with Roman and some of the other internationals to have a drink and chat. Even though I turned up late (about 20 mins) I didn't need to think this was a big deal as the spaniards were over an hour late..apparently something they are known for just because time management isn't a big issue in Spain I guess! But it was only 3 of us that came along but I still got to chat with the other 2 who I hadn't really spoken to before so was good. Found out that I am the only student here from the exchange that is here 3 quarters! Most are here one quarter so will leave end of this year. And then more students arrive in Jan and then in April time but only about 3 or 4. Came home and spent rest of the evening watching Now Pronounce you Chuck & Larry with the girls.

16th Oct
Roman took some of us (with his Dad too for another car) to Easton Shopping Mall. The only one I hadn't been to out of the 3 main ones in Columbus. It was just me along with Dinna (girl from Denmark), Erick (from Norway) and Mario( from Italy). We split up into guys and girls inevitably and spent a few hours around the shops. We met back up and us girls still wanted to see more so the guys went off to a gun store with Roman and his Dad. It was a good day to go to that mall since it was outdoors and in the cold I can imagine not very pleasant but the sun was shining and it was pretty mild. There was a H&M and Forever 21 but they weren't open yet so the rest of the shops at this mall didn't appeal to me too much but it was still good to wonder around. Afterwards we got back in the car and went to place called City Barbeque where the others had ribs and all the trimmings but cos I had already had something at the mall I just had a peach cobbler which even that was too filling!
Got dropped off back home at teatime and watched the OSU game (where we lost :( ) and had some strongbow and beer with Sam & Josh. They were going out after and wanted to play drinking games so we played some beer pong down in the basement Josh against us 2 girls...he still won though! That was the first time I had used our ping pong table to play and it was a lot harder cos the table was so much longer compared to the 'dining' tables others have at their places where I've played before. Like to think I'm getting quite good at it but we'll see!

17th Oct
Sunday I caught up on skype with the family in the morning and even though we still spoke 2 days before so wasn't much new to say, we were still on for over an hour! Then in the afternoon I met Diana on the bus to head to campus to see Barack Obama! We didn't queue for too long even though the line was huge. We had to pass through airport-like security...walking through the scanner and having our bags checked! Once we were in we only had about 30 mins or so to wait till it started but Mr President wasn't the first up. Oh no he knew how to keep people waiting. First it was the mayor..followed by other people who are just no-bodies to me! Even a reverend came on to 'say a prayer' what a joke! Someone shouted out from the crowd 'It's not God's fault' which is quite right since she was saying stuff like 'God bless us with jobs' etc etc. There were intervals of music then more people speaking about all the same things really. John Legend came out to play 'Green Light', 'Ordinary People' and some other song didn't recognise. Then finally...after about 2hrs standing from when we got through the gates Barack Obama came out with the First Lady. The cheer they got was amazing. All 35,000 people. She did a speech first to introduce him and she is a really good public speaker. Then Mr President himself spoke and although we only stayed about 10-15 mins into his speech to take pictures it was still worth it. I don't know if I would be that excited to go see Gordon Brown or David Cameron do a rally like that. It's just the fact that this guy has made history and is a powerful figure in the world at the minute. Even if I know nothing about the politics of America (apart from the full list of Presidents provided to me by my Grandpa!) it was still a good moment and I'll be able to say I've heard one of his campaigns!
Since it was a sunday the last bus was at 9.15 and knew that it would be full as when we were coming on the bus, at one of the stops where there is a lot of students living in the area, about half the population of China were wanting on! Obviously going to see him too. So kindly Sam came to pick me & Diana up :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home