It's a party in the USA!

Spending my 3rd year of uni abroad in America at Ohio State University. This is just a little memoir of what I've been getting upto for those that are interested. Will try to keep it going but we will see after a month or so how that goes! Missing Edinburgh and everyone in it xxx

Tuesday 12 October 2010

Abusing the blog

Sorry have abandoned the blog in last week or so...firstly nothing much exciting happens throughout the week unless you really want to hear about my classes...and to be honest I don't even love them that much myself to repeat them! So I'll save you that boring stuff.
But anyways new things I have done since last wrote...Been to the uni gym (or one of them) which is all big open planned with courts for volleyball, football (soccer) going on whilst you work out. The swimming pool looks good too so that's on my to-do list as well.

This weekend I went along with Sam to Miami University (in Ohio) which is about 2 hr drive SW of Columbus. Sam used to go there before she transferred here so were visiting her old friends. The campus there was really nice and was finding out that its quite an expensive school to go to and you could tell by a lot of the people walking around...a lot were quite posh in the way they dressed nicely instead of just in casuals like a lot at OSU do. Just think of all the yahs at Edinburgh and the like and transfer that to America and that's pretty much the picture. But Sam's friends were totally not like that and really nice. We all went out for dinner in the town ( called Oxford I thiiink) then stock up on drinks at the liquor store then back to start the pre! Flavoured vodka is so common over here..I had grape flavoured on saturday with lemonade it was pretty nice. The bottle even said it was made in England so they must just make it there and ship it out to the US cos its a bottle I've never heard of before! We had a few at the girls house then went to a small house party...played some beer pong as you do then out into the town again. The place was more like a bar but had a dancefloor. Unfortunately the guy on the door this time was clever to spot my DOB and so had 2 crosses on my hand to not be able to buy drinks once inside :( but on the bright side it did save me a fair bit.
On way back home with Sam, we went to the fraternity her cousin stays in to see around it. Sat outside chatting for a bit with the other guys who live there and one guy thought he knew Scotland more than any of the others and that we had a 'connection' all because he knew who celtic, rangers, hibs and hearts were from playing Fifa ha! Oh and that his lecturer was from Aberdeen. Then got into discussion about whats different in Scotland compared to here.

Okay so the thing about the discount after a Buckeye game...totally wrong that it was the score you get as discount but I managed to find out the real deal that it's 5% off for every touchdown OSU score so it was 5 on sat there so went in to buy some things on monday. It's max 30% so thought 25% was pretty good. Got myself some hoodies saying Ohio State on them to be part of the crowd around campus. Oh and Ohio State are now ranked 1st in their league! Helllo champions hopefully! Last time they won was 2002 and it would be great if they won whilst I was here...hopefully I can be a good omen to them. I already proved that when they beat Miami University Florida (my second choice uni) the first weekend I was here :P

And that was my weekend! Back to working on the monday...got such a busy week on right now...exam tomorrow worth 30%...surprise quiz in class today but got 4/5 on it :) and then preparing for a 'Career Strategy Presentayion' that I could have to do on thurs if no one volunteers and he picks at random...eeek so not prepared for that so fingers crossed people volunteer so I can have another week or so do work on it. So ready for the weekend already!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home