It's a party in the USA!

Spending my 3rd year of uni abroad in America at Ohio State University. This is just a little memoir of what I've been getting upto for those that are interested. Will try to keep it going but we will see after a month or so how that goes! Missing Edinburgh and everyone in it xxx

Saturday 25 September 2010

Oktoberfest

On fridays I have no classes so yesterday there was yet another meeting at the Fisher business to meet our mentors that are just meant to help us out and be there if we need to ask them any questions or whatever. I have not one but two mentor called Jenny and Elise. Both did an internship in London over the summer and travelled around Europe too so we had some good chats about that. They said they put on their application that they would like someone from the UK so lucky them they get me! I also got Roman to be on the lookout for any people selling tickets for the OSU football game since a lot of the international students were going as a group and I stupidly didn't buy a ticket thinking I won't know anyone and it was a lot of money if that was the case. But after I had met people I regretted it instantly! He didn't hear of any spare tickets for the Fisher area but managed to hook me up with some girls who wanted to sell 2 tickets for $35 each. And face value for the tickets was $33 so that was a bargain...you can expect to pay upto hundreds$ depending where the seats are. I could have easily sold on those tickets again and made a wee small profit :) but I was keen to actually go to the game!

In the evening it was the Columbus Oktoberfest so a few of the internationals headed to that which was in a big tent. Spent about $18 on tokens to spend on the beers/food to find out they were ID-ing and giving a band to those over 21. So I asked Mason if he would get me a beer and gave him some of my tokens. I feel so underage here all over again :(  One stage was playing band music that was supposed to resemble German music but was just awful. Felt bad cos one of the guys, Carlo is actually from Germany so he must have thought it was awful compared to the real oktoberfests! But we moved to another stage where a more 'cooler' band were playing singing songs everyone knew (or country songs which only the locals really knew). They played some hip-hop songs so I was right in my element. It was more of an event that gave the adults an excuse to get pissed on beer and dance with each other haha. We all walked back to Hight St and my last bus was at midnight but Mason kindly gave me a run home since he passes my street anyways.

Saturday 25/9/10
Headed to my mentor Jennys house with Sam and Hayley to start the pre game bevving at noon! They had a keg out front and beer pong inside. Played my first game of beer pong too! Went on a team first off with Sam aaand managed to get my first throw in! We won that game but was pretty close. Then went on a team with Hayley and won again in a game that was over in like 3 mins wooop! Bit of beginners luck there I think. Hayley wants to start calling me Scottish Thunder haha after those games haha. We then headed to Panda Express for lunch then over to the stadium. Our seats were really good, just a bit above pitch level. The OSU marching band are really good and we got to our seats just in time for them coming out of the dugout to do their bit on the pitch. Even though I still don't know too much about American Football the atmosphere was still really good and we were sat right next to the section where the student fans start all the chants and mexican waves etc. Sam was saying they all have to go to practices to sit there as they have cards that form the letter 'O' and everything so they need to know what they're doing! The game ended 73-20 to OSU. It was against Eastern Michigan who are one of the smaller teams and aren't ranked so it was a pretty simple game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home