It's a party in the USA!

Spending my 3rd year of uni abroad in America at Ohio State University. This is just a little memoir of what I've been getting upto for those that are interested. Will try to keep it going but we will see after a month or so how that goes! Missing Edinburgh and everyone in it xxx

Sunday 28 November 2010

Happy Thanksgiving folks!


Thursday was Thanksgiving which means day off school, work and time to eat til you drop! I was invited by Sam to join her family a 2 hours drive away. Her dad's side of the family was quite small so there was 11 of us at her Grandparents house. Her grandma did all the cooking and I had been told to expect hillbilly kind of food! It was lovely though, not too sure what some of the dishes were but tried a bit of everything and it all tasted good! It was just like a Christmas day though minus the presents. We got back to Columbus about 8pm and it was pretty much straight to bed to prepare ourselves for getting up at 3.30am to hit Black Friday!

So at 4am me, sam, her sister and mum all trooped out in the dark and cold to first off head to Target that opened at 4. It was maaad! Couldn't move very well for all the people in the aisles. People were just being ridiculous as well trying to manouver their trollies where it was clear there was no room!! They did have some good deals but nothing I was looking for...they were mostly in electronics like your TVs and consoles so not much use to me. I bought a plug adaptor though :) wouldn't have bothered queuing to buy just that but the others were waiting in line anyways. After that we headed to Old Navy and then Best Buy which is basically your Comet/Currys place. That was an even more insane line! and by that time it was about 6.30am so we took it in turns to wait in the line in pairs whilst the other 2 went to get breakfast next door at Panera Bread. That worked out well because we were out there by about 7am which was when the Polaris Mall opened so we headed onto there! Here it was less hectic but still busier than your usual weekend shopping. I bought most of my stuff here although it was mostly for xmas gifts which suited me fine as it meant I didn't have the hassle of trying things! Hollister had 30% off until noon so got few gifts there, bath & body works, victoria's secret. We left the mall about 12.30pm - 8 hours of shopping! Was happy to get to bed that night...

Saturday was round 2 of Thanksgiving meals with sam's mums side of the family at their house. The OSU v Michigan game was on at 12 so everyone watched that then food was served at 4pm to about 30 mouths!
All in all I enjoyed my first and probably last Thanksgiving experience although wouldn't mind taking it home with me and celebrating it next year. Any excuse for nice food!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home